Saturday, October 17, 2020

My Top 10 Family-Friendly Spooky Movies for Samhain


Hello World!

If you are anything like me then you probably love to get your family together on the couch, cuddle up, and watch a movie together; and when it's the holidays I tend to put on a seasonal movie. I compiled a list of my top 10 movies to watch during the Samhain season, and I wanted to share them with you. Not all of these movies are directly related to Samhain sure, but they still hold the spirit of creepiness within them. I would also like to add that these aren't really in any particular order, except for the last 3.


10. Mostly Ghostly: Who Let the Ghost Out? (2008) [PG]


I remember seeing this movie on Disney Channel and instantly loving it. It's the first in a series of movies that is adapted from a series of books from beloved children's author R.L. Stine. It follows Max Doyle (Sterling Beaumont) as he helps two lost souls - Nicky (Luke Benward) and Tara (Madison Pettis) - find eternal rest and beat an evil apparition named Phears (Brian Stepanek). In exchange, they help him gain the attention of his crush, who is the most popular girl in school. It's a cute movie. Nothing remarkable, but it's still a must every year for Samhain. If I'm being honest it may be because of nostalgia that I watch this movie every year, but most movies on this list are due to that.


9. The House With a Clock in its Walls (2018) [PG]


This is the most recently released movie on this list so I didn't grow up watching it, but Cora will. I saw this one in theaters and really enjoyed it. Lewis is a ten-year-old who has just moved into his uncle's weird house. Only to find out that his Uncle Johnathan and his neighbor Mrs. Zimmerman both practice magic. Naturally, he wants to learn as well. After he raises the dead his uncle and Mrs. Zimmerman must help him save the world. The movie has some good jokes, but I like it for the visuals. There was one scene that had me general creeped out, so if you have sensitive little ones you may one to wait a little before showing them this one.


8. ParaNorman (2012) [PG]


Of course, I had to put at least one Laika film on this list and it was either this or Coraline. While Coraline has quite a bit of significance to me, ParaNorman is definitely more of a Samhain movie. I mean it revolves around a witch. I remember my grandparents taking me to see this in theaters and I loved it. The movie is about a boy named Norman who, while he has the most normal name, is not normal at all. He can speak to the dead, and for the most part, he prefers their company over that of the living anyways. One day he is told that the witches curse on his town is real and only he can stop it. This movie is hilarious and has great LGBTQ+ representation, as in it isn't rubbed in your face, it's one line, and it's fantastically delivered.


7. Practical Magic (1998) [PG-13]

Click for Trailer

Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock as sister witches? Yes, please! This movie has everything; ghost, murder, sisterly love, and most importantly magic. The movie follows Sally Owens (Bullock) as she goes through losing her husband to a family curse and continuing to move on with her life. I will admit the story kind of goes everywhere, but it's still a great movie. The family feels so genuine when they interact with each other and the end always makes me smile. This movie may not be directly tied to Samhain (except for the last 5 minutes) but it is still a Samhain must watch at my house.


6. Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride (2005) [PG]


Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride is such a beautiful movie. It is based on a Jewish folktale, called "The Finger". The movie itself is about Victor (Johnny Depp) who is betrothed to a beautiful woman named Victoria (Emily Watson) but ends up messing up at the wedding rehearsal. When he runs into the forest he ends up accidentally marrying a corpse bride named Emily (Helena Bonham Carter). The story is definitely a melancholy one. It has some fantastic musical numbers, my personal favorite being Remains of the Day. There are some jokes but the comedy isn't really why I love this movie so much. It's the animation. I love stop motion and the figures for this movie are gorgeous.


5. Monster House (2006) [PG]


I remember when this movie came out I watched it on repeat. It was my favorite movie for a good few months. Honestly, I loved it because it scared me, but not too much. It was like a horror movie for kids, and that's pretty much exactly what it is. It has some pretty creepy moments. As well as quite a few adult jokes, but don't worry they will go over your little one's head, at least they did mine. The major upside to adult jokes too is it makes the movie as enjoyable for you as it is for your kids. The cast has a few notable names such as; Mitchel Musso, Steve Buscemi, Catherine O'Hara, and many more. The characters are fun and likable, which can be rare. Overall it's a really good movie.


4.Beetlejuice (1988) [PG]


The fact that this one is PG kind of makes me laugh, but I have to remember that PG-13 wasn't always a thing and that ratings use to be a lot looser. If you have never seen this movie then I feel you should know that it isn't 100% kid-friendly. There are some language and a lot of sexual jokes. It is probably better for your older kids like Practical Magic, but I personally grew up watching Beetlejuice. It has been one of my favorite movies for as long as I can remember. The acting is great. Everyone's comedy is on point; from dark depressed Lydia (Winona Ryder aka my favorite actress), to kind endearing Barbra (Geena Davis), and of course sleazy disgusting Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton).


3. Hocus Pocus (1993) [PG]

This movie is amazing in every way. The comedy is on point. Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy kill it as the Sanderson sisters. Pretty much every important character is likable in their own way. The jokes get me pretty much every time to at least smile. It has the best musical number out of all of these movies. The setting is perfect, I've actually always wanted to visit Salem and have always had a fascination with the Salem Witch Trials, but that is a topic for another day. Did I also mention that the comedy is A+? Now I will add that Hocus Pocus is a bit more intense than Halloweentown, so if you are wanting a movie with witches for younger or more sensitive kiddos then I would go with that one.


2. The Halloweentown Movies (1998 - 2006) [(1&3)TV-G/(2&4)TV-PG]


I know there is some controversy around the fourth movie but ignore that. They were all pivotal to my childhood so yes, I love the fourth one, sue me. Overall these are just classic Samhain movies that most people my age have grown up with. The movies follow Marnie the teenage witch as she grows up. It starts when she's 13 and goes through to when she goes to college. Marnie can be a little annoying, but I absolutely adore Debbie Reynolds as the kindly grandmother witch. I also love that they used a puppet for Benny instead of trying to CGI it. Also, Halloweentown came out on October 17, 1998. That is exactly 365 days before I was born (Oct. 17, '99), which is just awesome to me. With that knowledge, I can also say that the first Halloweentown is officially 22 years old today!


Honorable Mentions

There were so many movies that I wanted to add to this list that just didn't make the cut. I added and removed movies to keep it at 10 and these were what I stuck with. However, no list can be complete without The Addams Family. I also wanted to add The Haunted Mask episode from the Goosebumps series as well as the Goosebumps movie from 2015. These are all quintessential Samhain movies for my family and I as well.


1. Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) [PG]

This is one of my all-time favorite Samhain movies. Especially since it is a Samhain-Yule combo (spoiler alert: you'll likely see this there too). I love that the whole movie is about the spirit of the seasons, which is the most important part of the holidays in my opinion. It was also my favorite movie growing up and I would watch it on repeat no matter the time of year. When my littlest brother was old enough to understand and pick out movies it became one of his go-to's as well, thanks to moi. This has also caused it to be one of my mom's least favorite movies, and now, and really since I was a teen, I only watch it during the holiday seasons as well. It is full of fun music that will get stuck in your head, but every song is a banger so you'll love it anyway. 


So, what is your favorite movie to watch during this time of year? Are you drawn to more comedies or horrors? Tweet me (@AWitchyMama2020) or comment below to let me know!

Thank you so much for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Great list! I haven't heard of several of these, so I'll have to check them out :)

    ReplyDelete