Saturday, September 19, 2020

Italian Wedding Soup, Apple Turnovers, and More!

Hello World

This week I decided to make some Italian wedding soup for the house, as well as Apple Turnovers with a twist.

Soup is easily my favorite type of dish. I suppose it goes hand and hand with my favorite weather being sweater weather. Nothing is better than a warm bowl of soup on a cold day, you can't change my mind.

Sadly the day I made the soup, it was not a cold day, but it tasted really good. Of course, it wasn't my recipe so I had to search for one on Pinterest. Here is where you can find the recipe. It was honestly quite good, but I did make a couple mistakes while making my soup. First, I didn't think to check the recipe and measure the noodles so I just dumped the whole box in. While the soup was good it lost a lot of its brothyness due to the abundance of noodles. The second thing I did was I bought a bag of spinach that was 16 oz when I only needed 8. the size wasn't the problem, it was the fact that I didn't double-check and just dumped it in. So just like with the noodles I had too much spinach. If I could take anything away from my mistakes it would be that I need to slow down and pay attention to measurements a little better. The meatballs were made by hand and were fantastic. I'm not used to making meatballs by myself. It was something that if my mom decided to do by hand she would have me help. I can't wait for Cora to be old enough to help me so she can have those memories too.

Since getting my new-to-me bread pans at a thrift shop I've been dying to make pumpkin bread, so
that's what I did. I made 2 delicious loaves of pumpkin bread. When I came to the decision to make the bread I was unaware that we were out of eggs, but I wasn't going to let something little like a missing ingredient keep me from my pumpkin bread so I pressed on. I searched the internet for egg substitutes, of course I know about the mayo trick but I prefer to use that for savory things, not sweet things. The second thing on the list was applesauce and I thought "why not?" So, I used applesauce instead of eggs and it came out perfect. For anyone wondering, 1/4 cup of applesauce = 1 large egg. Of course, use unsweetened or cut out some of the sugar of whatever you are making or you stand the risk of making whatever it is too sweet. Overall the bread was really good, as pumpkin bread tends to be. Here is the recipe.

To finish off the week I made some apple turnovers, but these weren't any normal apple turnovers.
Instead of using pie crust or puff pastry for the crust, I chose to use canned biscuits. I sadly can't take
the credit for this idea, but for once it didn't come from Pinterest either. The idea came from my Grandmother-in-Law. I was originally just going to make a good old fashioned apple pie, but she mentioned this idea and it sounded good, plus it was easier than making some pie crust from scratch. All I had to do was take each biscuit, roll it out, fill it like I normally would, then bake it in the oven at 350 *F for ~20 minutes. Did they look pretty? Not really. Were they good? Oh yeah. The filling was a simple mixture of granny smith apples, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. All mixed on the stove on medium-low. 

I think my favorite thing that I made this week was the soup though. It was just so good and I can't wait to make it again in the future. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be cooking or baking next week, but it is sure to at least taste good if it doesn't look pretty. Not everything is about presentation. Especially not food made for your family. Even my ugliest cookies are gone quickly.

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment